Monday, June 15, 2009

What to Name it!

Hope everyone out there is having a good time.

It was too much of an effort to write a post after so many days and I could not rake my brain to come with a suitable title, hence What to Name it!


So, to get out of my writer's block (ok, don't scoff at my temerity to call myself a writer), I decided to just start writing. Many times, it just takes that, doesn't it? To get started. Let me see how far this goes.

As I was having lunch at home today, I looked at the (relatively) new bookshelf that we bought and it felt nice to see all our eclectic collection of books finally find a respectable place to rest.

The shelf holds only a fraction of the books we own. If we were to collect the books of all our immediate family members, (parents and siblings) it will constitute a wonderful library.

There are people with such varied qualification in my family. My dad is a lawyer. Mom a retired Science teacher. Brother got his degree in Accounting, Sister did her Masters (and Ph.D) in Physics/Materials Science, while I did my Engineering!

C's dad is a retired banker, his Mom a math teacher, Brother an engineer and C did his MBA!

So, you can imagine the number of books found in our family. It is a dream of mine to have a neat library stacking rows and rows of these books.. ranging from Accounting to Astro Physics and Hindu Law to Management Principles!

Thanks to C being a bibliophile, apart from the technical books, there is a vast collection of books on Indian Philosophy, Political Philosophy, Vedas and Upanishad, Logical Reasoning, Critical Thinking, Books on Bharathiyar Kavithaigal, Thirukural, Salvador Dali (!) and books by Kafka, O Henry and Jane Austen.. to name a few.

As I was reminiscing about these books, I got thinking on what we wanted to be and what we ended up doing...

For instance, C wanted to do a course in Literature, but ended up doing Engineering and MBA. I was more into Sports, loved Chemistry as a subject and teaching as a vocation, but again, obtained my Bachelor of Engg. degree and now work in the IT industry.

My sister wanted to get on to a job after her graduation, she never fantasized higher education, but she ended up doing her MS and Ph.D!

My B-I-L would give his all to join a certain well established bike company but is currently working in the software field!

It seems crazy to me when I think about this. But then, in spite of not doing what we wanted, we are all pretty HAPPY now. I like my work and so does C. Sister is an accomplished Dr. and B-i-l is settled on his job.

Perhaps, there will come a time when C can pursue his interest in Philosophy or Law and Bil can become a great technician in his dream company. But as of now, things are good. In the end, isn't that more important. To be happy and contended. And I am thankful for that.

4 comments:

artnavy said...

i wld like to see ur books

and yes it is all about being happy finally...

VJ said...

very true !!
ultimately what matters is being happy irrespective of what you do !

Lavs said...

Need to email you..what's your email address?you can find mine at my blog

Subhashree said...

For starters, why don't you post a pic of your new bookshelf? I'll try to read the titles and list which ones I'd like reading, so that you can drop them with me, when we all meet sometime? ;p