Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Happy Navrathri

A very happy Navrathri to you. I hope everyone is having a very joyous and festive week.

Navrathri or Golu as we call it, is such a fun, colorful and social occasion. Constructing the steps, decorating them with festoons, arranging the dolls, creating a theme park, eating 'sundal', visiting houses and seeing their golu... it's all one action packed week.

For the last several years, we (i.e my parents) have been constructing the Padi (Steps) for Golu, using makeshift items like the dining table, other assorted side tables, heavy law books and even stacks of newspaper. It is a back breaking job but when finished it gives an immense satisfaction.

This year C & I bought them the slotted angle iron steps. Assembling them too took a lot of work, but it was relatively simpler. Having broken from the tradition of building steps, I was very skeptical on how these iron steps would look... but fortunately it still looks very conventional and nice.




We were invited to a lot of houses for Golu and on Sunday decided to visit them all. So long, we haven't taken Baby S out a lot... except for nearby temples. But on Sunday she had a outing for close to 4 hours. It must have felt like a world tour to her. She thoroughly enjoyed the new experience and looked at us as if asking 'Why didn't you guys take me out earlier ?' :-)

She also doesn't seem to be bothered much meeting new people. She was pretty happy whoever was carrying her and kept looking at all the lights and dolls with curiosity. She even charmed people with her baby talk and sounds :-)

When I went to bed close to midnight that day, I had such a happy feeling in my heart. I was so happy that I just could not sleep and kept smiling. I couldn't help thinking back on those many many days when I was crying and feeling miserable. I really have to be grateful for what has been given to me. C & I keep reminding ourselves that we have to become better persons so that we can give the best to Baby S.

5 comments:

artnavy said...

wonderful...all the best.

Anonymous said...

Golu looks lovely. Baby S looks lovelier. Very happy for you.

Subhashree

Voracious Blog Reader said...

Baby S looks very cute.

First time here. Find it interesting. Going to read all the posts now.

Voracious Blog Reader

mnamma said...

Such a friendly baby!!! She sounds just like Lily - enjoying the outings and not having much stranger anxiety. You should indulge her more :)

DC said...

Art, Subhashree, VBR - thank you.

MNIAmma - yes, no stranger anxiety so far... and yes, we are thinking of taking her to few more places this weekend... hope it works out fine.