Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Auto Ride

I was spared some four times from getting crushed under a speeding vehicle last night. (OK C, if you are reading this, don't get agitated. I didn't tell you last night because you were already exhausted after a very tiring day.)

Travelling back and forth between office and home is becoming increasingly difficult. I left my workplace about 7.30 last evening and since I was sapped, decided against the bus and took an auto. And from the second that I boarded, it was a non-stop thrill ride. The driver had absolutely no lane sense. Cutting across lanes like he owned the road, I remember my heart skipping a beat many a times!

I repeatedly asked him to slow down but he was nonchalant to my protests. At one point I completely lost it. He had coolly driven on the other side of the lane with traffic coming head on, just so that he can take the signal first. After he heard some choicest foul words from few passing motorists, I gave him some gyaan.

When I first asked him to slow down, he asked me - 'why madam are you scared?'
I felt my temper raising, but I held it back and asked him how he felt about his own driving. I told him he (and the passenger!) won't be lucky every single time. An extra 5 minutes is NOT a big deal when the other option is to get squashed like a bee. Why wouldn't auto drivers be the most hated folks of the public transport system? If someone collides with your auto, how can you complain when you are clearly on the wrong side of the road?

I spoke rapidly and with real passion and he was quite for a few seconds and then said 'Sorry madam, I will drive carefully.' I thought he was just being sarcastic but he did drive like a sane man after my short lecture. He again said, 'I realize madam, I will drive slowly...' I said, it is for your own good that I told you.

I was glad I reached home in one piece.

This driver, I noted, had terribly crossed eyes. I was left wondering what the requirement for eyesight was before issuing a driving permit.

No comments: