Thursday, October 30, 2008

We shall go travelling

C and I enjoy travelling. The initial preparation of scouring the internet for places to see, best time to visit, where to stay, where to eat, languages spoken - I get a thrill doing that.

Everytime C has to visit a different country, I prepare this quick guide of sorts that (I hope) helps him. Once he had to make this quick 2 day trip to Seoul and I gave him a small sheet with important sentences/phrases translated in Korean. He found it very useful and in fact used it at a Pizza joint to make sure they served him veggie food :-)

Travelling to different cities, I think provides a very good lesson and also helps us broaden our minds. You learn so much, right from art of packing, booking tickets, foreign exchange, culture, food, behaviour.. the list is endless.

I read a nice quote somewhere - 'If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home'. How apt is that?

I think C&I are fairly reasonable travellers. The only constraint that we face occasionally is food, vegetarian food that is. But nowadays there are Subways everywhere and till date we have not found a subway without their standard 'Veggie Delite'.

Travelling has taught us how to pack only the essential, how to survive on meager resources, made us relish different cuisines and made us appreciate what we have in our own country.

Now, it has been long since we travelled. I am really itching to make a short trip to some nice place. Get on a train or bus or whatever, feel the breeze on my face, go trekking, visit a temple, anything would do.

While we were in Gurgaon, we managed to visit a few wonderful hill stations. Right after our wedding, we went to Manali. Then over the next three years or so, went to Nainital (just the two of us), Shimla (with B-I-L), Mussorie (with M-I-L) and Jaipur. Well, we've actually been to the pink city four times! The two of us, with parents, with in-laws and with C's office mates. And enjoyed it every single time.

I actually had a blog (travelogue of sorts) which, I am ashamed to say, deleted in a fit of rage! I really want to write it all down again so that I can read it and reminisce years later. But I would need C's help... I have quite forgotten the details.

So, what are the places to visit as a weekend getaway? I heard Yelagiri is the most happening place right now. I would love to visit Yercaud too. How about Coorg? Will 3 days suffice? What about Pondicherry? What is there to see apart from the Ashram? Any hidden treasures on the way? So many questions... I will have to go back to the WWW for some answers. But is there someone who can give some tips? Please do leave your comments if you have some something nice to share.

1 comment:

Artnavy said...

http://alongway.wordpress.com/

some of apu's and my posts shld help

pondy/ kodai/ yercaud/ yelagiri/ kutralam all are nice

3 days will suffice for all

also check out charukesi - i do not recollect her blog name