Wednesday, February 25, 2009

What does it take to like a city?

If you are born and brought up in a particular city, then of course your loyalty will lie there.. But what if you are compelled to move to a different city, isn't it to your advantage to start liking it?

I have this colleague who has got transferred from Gurgaon to Mumbai and she is not liking it one bit. She swears by Delhi (being born and raised there) and is just unwilling to see the nicer points of the new city she's moved into. No matter how much I try to tell her subtly that the place will grow on her, she is steadfast in her idea.

I had never ventured outside Madras till I got married and moved to Gurgaon. But I kind of liked that place... though there is nothing much to do apart from the Malls. We kind of felt bored occasionally, but we definitely didn't dislike it.

But I guess it is different with Delhi and Mumbai. People who are used to Delhi will not take to Mumbai and vice versa. Atleast that is what C says... he did his MBA in Mumbai and I think next to Chennai he likes that city a lot. I have never visited the place yet and from all the tales C tells of his college, the trains, the fast pace of life, vada-pav and cutting chai :-), I would like to see it some time...

1 comment:

Artnavy said...

i know what u mean

and You MUST go to Mumbai!